3/16/09

Chapter Breaks

There is no method exactly that tells you how to divide your book. People prefer short chapters, but at the same time, the more chapters you have, the more opportunities you're giving the reader to set down the book. Make sure each chapter ending makes the reader want to read "just one more chapter."

For most of my book, it was pretty easy because I changed chapters each time the storyline switched. However, I battled a long time whether I wanted the first chapter to be composed of five mini-scenes (one for each storyline) ala Who is Shayla Hacker or if I wanted to make each of the mini-scenes into their own chapters. I'm still not positive what I want to do, but this is something a publisher will have say over anyway.

Click here to read my blog entry on the matter.

I decided that, either way, I would give a heading before each POV switch to signal the reader of the change.

No comments:

Post a Comment