3/16/09

Modeling

This page is under construction


Modeling is neither be inspired by nor plagiarism. It's putting a new twist on an old idea. For the most part, it should be obvious to the reader what you're modeling.

Modeling your story off of classics is not a bad thing, but make sure you're original. For me, I modeled Riff off of Dante's Inferno. I used the concept of a multiringed Hell that punishes sinners based on their sins. I even used some of the elements from Dante's rings. However, I added rings of my own. I combined some rings. I did not rewrite Dante's scenes with a different character. He set the setting. I dropped my characters in and let them loose without any restrictions to Dante's plot.

Some modeling is the opposite. It models the plot of classics, but puts it in a modern (or different) setting. People take fairy tales and put a new spin on those to prove a point. Some people write satires and spoofs modeled after old stories or even true stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment