3/9/09

Diction and Grammar

This might sound obvious, but make sure the style you're writing in is appropriate for your audience. For example, the age of your audience could determine the vocabulary.

You also have to look at dialogue. Different types of people are going to speak in different ways. For me, the challenge was writing for both American characters and British characters. I'm American. Throwing a few lifts, bobbies, and crisps in is not going to do it. Yes, vocabulary is important. You wouldn't want to say "pants" when you mean "trousers" but there are also grammatical differences between the dialects. They use the present perfect tense in a different way than we do ("I haven't got any money" vs. "I don't have any money"). There are different prepositions, auxiliaries, etc. This could involve research.

A fun part of this could be the slang. I like Urban Dictionary, but whatever floats your boat.

No comments:

Post a Comment