3/9/09

Irony

Types of irony

Intentional irony
Dramatic irony
Modern irony


What is intentional irony?

Classically, irony is when what is said is opposite of what is meant. Sometimes this type of irony is referred to as "verbal" irony because it's spoken in a way to show that the meaning of what is said is not the substance of what is said. Sarcasm, for instance, is a common way of displaying irony.


What is dramatic irony?

Dramatic irony is when the reader knows something that the character doesn't. In first person narratives, it is often done through subtle ways that the speaker says things, not necessarily what the speaker says.

Example: I didn't get invited to the prom, but it wasn't a big deal. I didn't want to go to that stupid dance anyway. Not really.

You might also get a whiff of this is horror movies. "No, don't go in the woods!" you might scream at your TV because you know something that the character doesn't.

This is the kind of irony you can use in your book.


How to establish dramatic irony
From Robert Olen Butler's From Where You Dream:
1. The character protests too much. "I have no hatred in me."
2. A little self-doubt. "I have no hatred in me. I'm almost certain of that." Note the almost.


What is modern irony?

The definition of irony has changed over the years. There is still debate about whether the common way that we use "ironic" these days is actually irony. This usage is for things that happen exactly opposite to how they are supposed to happen such as surviving a sword fight but then getting your head sliced off by your own shield, the one thing that's supposed to protect you.

Although modern irony is not the classical definition of the word, it's still different from "Alanic" (referring to Alanis Morissette's song "Ironic" which has gotten a lot of criticism for using examples that aren't ironic).


Ironic is not the same as coincidence!
In fact, I'd argue they are opposites. I'm still talking about modern irony here, so maybe it's not even ironic at all, but let's look at an example.

"I've been trying to track down Tricia for two weeks straight and I keep missing her. Last night I went to a play and she sat down right in front of me! Isn't that ironic?" No. It's coincidence.

"I've spent the last two weeks trying to ditch Tricia. I changed my phone number, blocked her email address, and have my roommate answer the door when she comes knocking so she'll think I've moved. Last night I went to a play and she sat right in front of me! She didn't even know I'd be going to that play." Wow, buddy. That's ironic.

No comments:

Post a Comment